These free torrent clients will assist you in downloading and managing files as efficiently as possible on Linux Desktop. In this article we talk about Transmission which is a basic clutter free torrent client and Orion which is a very advance torrent client with tons of unique features set.
Transmission and Transmission-cli for Linux Desktop
Transmission is the standard torrent client included with Ubuntu and many other GNOME-based Linux distributions. Transmission has a clean, minimal, clutter-free user interface with no sidebars or large toolbars.
Users are only exposed to a few UI elements by default. However, its behaviour can be customised, and it includes all of the options you’d expect from a torrent client. In addition to the GUI app, it includes a command line tool for downloading and managing torrents, as well as a web interface for remote access.
- Uses fewer resources than other clients
- Native Mac, GTK+ and Qt GUI clients
- Daemon ideal for servers, embedded systems, and headless use
- All these can be remote controlled by Web and Terminal clients
- Local Peer Discovery
- Full encryption, DHT, µTP, PEX and Magnet Link support
Install transmission on Linux Desktop:
sudo apt install transmission-gtk
Install transmission cli on Linux Desktop:
sudo apt install transmission-cli
Orion – Torrent Client & Streamer
Orion is an advance, lightweight, fast BitTorrent client with beautiful user experience and fastest video and audio streaming capabilities.
To achieve all user comfort Orion comes with an in-built powerful media player back-end (Powered by MPV) which very comfortably integrates with Orion to serve the best user experience while streaming media files over the BitTorrent protocol.
Install Orion torrent Client on Linux Desktop:
snap install orion-desktop
Most notable features of Orion desktop application are:
- Ultra-fast downloading algorithms optimised for seamless streaming
- Stream torrents containing video, audio & images
- Share files and folders with users by hosting torrent server (peer to peer file/folder sharing)
- Built in media player to handle streaming needs
- Super-efficient peer selection and choking
- Multi threaded download manager
- Creates Streaming server which can be accessed from other services
- Peers discovery via Local & Tracker servers
- Full encryption, DHT (Distributed Hash Table), Local Peer Discovery (LSD), Peer Exchange (PEX), Web seed networks, webtorrent protocol using webRTC .
- Create torrent, share hash to you friend to share files
- Opens magnet links, Torrent files & torrent hashes.
- App lock (no one can access app without set pass code)
- Supports plugins
- Torrent host server(create and share files via torrent) - Torrent search engine plugin - Discover movie browser plugin - YouTube player & downloader plugin - Torrent meta plugin (shows quick overview of selected torrent) - History manager plugin (keeps your opened torrents safe for future)